2020 was a landmark year for the solar industry, with numerous technological advances that promise to revolutionize how we harness the power of the sun. Here are 11 of the most significant solar tech advancements of 2020:
- Bifacial solar panels: Bifacial solar panels are designed to capture sunlight from both sides, increasing the system’s overall efficiency and providing greater energy production.
- Perovskite solar cells: Perovskite is a new material that has shown promise in developing highly efficient solar cells, with some prototypes reaching efficiencies of over 22%.
- Concentrated Solar Power (CSP): CSP technology uses mirrors to focus the sun’s energy and generate heat, which can then be used to produce electricity. In 2020, CSP systems reached a new milestone with the development of a system that can store energy for over 15 hours.
- Floating solar panels: Floating solar panels have become increasingly popular in recent years, allowing for the use of otherwise unusable bodies of water to generate power. In 2020, a new type of floating solar panel was developed that can be used in saltwater environments.
- Solar windows: Solar windows are designed to serve as both windows and solar panels, offering an innovative new way to generate energy. In 2020, new solar window technology was developed that can produce energy even on cloudy days.
- AI-driven solar forecasting: Artificial intelligence (AI) is being used to improve the accuracy of solar forecasting, making it easier for utilities to plan for and manage the integration of solar energy into the grid.
- Solar tracking systems: Solar tracking systems allow solar panels to follow the sun’s movement throughout the day, increasing the amount of energy produced. In 2020, new tracking systems were developed to track multiple suns, making it possible to generate even more energy in multi-star systems.
- Innovative grid technology: Smart grid technology is helping to modernize the electrical grid, making it more efficient and reliable. In 2020, new smart grid technology was developed that can automatically adjust the distribution of solar energy based on real-time demand.
- Solar-powered drones: Solar-powered drones are used for various applications, from monitoring crops to delivering packages. In 2020, new solar-powered drones were developed that can fly for extended periods without needing to land for recharging.
- Solar-powered desalination: Solar energy is being used to power desalination plants, providing clean drinking water in areas with limited access to fresh water. In 2020, new solar-powered desalination technology was developed that can produce water at a much lower cost than traditional methods.
- Solar paint: Solar paint is a new technology that can be applied to surfaces to generate energy. In 2020, new solar paint was developed that can be used on transparent and opaque surfaces, offering a new and exciting way to create solar energy.
In conclusion, 2020 was a year of significant progress in solar technology, with numerous advancements helping to make solar energy more accessible and cost-effective.